EYE CARE TIPS FOR YOUR KIDS
Increase time spent outdoors
– Increase time spent on outdoor activities like ball games, walks to the park or time at the beach.
– This promotes physical fitness as well as improves hand eye co-ordination.
Encourage healthy eye care habits
– Ensure there is adequate lighting from a study lamp where your kids are studying or working. Overhead lighting is usually not enough.
– When reading, they should hold the book about 30–40cm away from the eyes.
– Make sure when using the computer, that the monitor screen is about 50cm away from the eyes.
– Eating a balanced diet, with lots of yellow, orange and green fruit and veg, and reduced amounts of sugar, will enhance the longevity and development of their eyes.
– Kids should have at least eight hours of sleep each night to rest growing young bodies and eyes.
Reduce time spent on electronic devices
– The young growing eye is not mature enough to handle the continuous focusing required to play games for hours.
– Reduce time spent on the television, hand-held electronic devices, phones and computer-related activities.
– Ensure that your child takes a break after 30-40 minutes of reading, writing and computer work.
– To rest his eyes your child should look at distant objects for 3 to 5 minutes during these intervals.